Programs for Windows 10: Have you recently purchased a PC with Windows 10 installed, are you still little expert in information technology and new technologies and would you therefore like some suggestions about the best software to download in order to make the best use of your new workstation? I would say then that, luckily for you, you happened on the right tutorial, at a time that could not have been better.
With my guide today, in fact, I really wanted to show you those that in my opinion represent the most interesting programs for Windows 10 . In the following lines, therefore, you will find useful software for productivity, for Windows security, for system optimization, for drawing and retouching photos and whoever has more.
In most cases, these are resources available at no cost, but there are also several paid solutions that you can try for a limited period and that you can consider buying if you think they can be useful. Then? How about putting the chatter aside and starting to dedicate yourself to reading the following? Yup? Very well! I am sure that in the end you will be able to say that you are happy and satisfied. Let it bet?
As I said, there are several software to be able to make the most of the latest Microsoft operating system. So if you want to find out what programs are essential for Windows 10, read on. You will find them all listed below, divided into categories. Happy downloading!
Internet programs for Windows 10
Let’s start with the Windows 10 programs belonging to the Internet category , that is, those useful for surfing the net, for managing e-mail and for instant messaging. You can find them in the following list. Find the ones you think are best for you and download them right away.
- Google Chrome – does it really need no introduction? This is the web browser from Google, one of the most used in the world. It’s free, it integrates perfectly with the main “big G” services (as easily understood), it is lightning fast in the loading of Web pages and in online browsing in general and can be customized at will, thanks to the support of the many extensions available on the Chrome Web Store, the official Chrome store. It also includes an automatic updates system that allows you to always get all the latest best releases. For further details, I refer you to the section of my site specifically dedicated to this browser .
- Mozilla Firefox – is the browser made available by the Mozilla software house. It is a historical navigator, considered by most as the direct competitor of Chrome. It is of an open source nature, is fairly fast in loading Web pages and can also be customized by users thanks to the numerous add-ons available, which can be taken from the official dedicated store. Privacy is its flagship, as it has always stood out in protecting users by not collecting browsing data. It’s free and, by creating a special account, you can synchronize bookmarks, bookmarks and history. To find out more, you can consult the section of my site entirely dedicated to this program .
- Microsoft Outlook– as regards the management of e-mail, as well as commitments and business contacts, all in one place, Microsoft Outlook is undoubtedly the best client on the market. It is developed directly by Microsoft, supports many useful functions for cataloging and filtering emails, allows you to use the most popular electronic correspondence services and also has a pleasant user interface. But it’s not free, as it is distributed together with the Office package. So, to date, it can be obtained by subscribing to a subscription to Office 365 (with prices starting from € 7 / month), available in a free trial version for 30 days, or by purchasing a traditional license of the Office Home & Studen suite of Office 2019 (at a cost of 149 euros). Alternatively, you can pay the application individually on the Microsoft Store, at a cost of 135 euros. For all the insights of the case, you can read my articles on how to download Outlook and how Outlook works .
- Thunderbird – this is the email client developed by Mozilla, the same software house as Firefox. Its main strength is the very high degree of customization, thanks to the special add-ons. For example, with extensions you can add a complete calendar to the program, import emails from other email software and much more. For the rest, it supports all the most popular email services and is totally free. For further information, I refer you to reading my post on how to download and use Thunderbird .
- Telegram – is the counterpart for Windows of one of the most popular instant messaging applications for smartphones and tablets, which has made chat encryption its workhorse almost immediately. It works independently of the mobile app, but supports all its features, therefore it allows you to chat, send files, participate in groups, follow channels etc. It’s free. For more details, see my posts on how to download Telegram and how Telegram works .
- WhatsApp Desktop – is the computer client of the most used instant messaging app in the world. It is totally free, allows you to chat with individual contacts and groups of users, supports the sending of audio clips, files and various documents and has a pleasant user interface. Note, however, that in order to function it is essential that the smartphone on which the WhatsApp app is installed is connected to the Internet. For further information, you can read my guide on how to use WhatsApp on PC .
- Skype – it is a renowned VoIP client owned by Microsoft thanks to which you can chat with the contacts added in the list, make voice and video calls and make calls to real numbers, after purchasing the appropriate credit. It is very simple to use and, excluding the possible expense to be incurred for credit, it is totally free. To find out more, you can refer to the articles in the section of my site dedicated to the program .
- Facebook Messenger – Messenger, Facebook’s messaging service through which you can get in touch with other users of the social network and with users who choose to log in by phone number, is also available as an application for Windows 10. Resumes the interface and functions of the web version and mobile apps and it’s free. For more information, read my article on how to download Messenger .
Productivity programs on Windows 10
Let’s now turn to the programs for Windows 10 useful for productivity , namely those that you can use to write text documents, spreadsheets, presentations and more generally to work and study. You find them shown below.
- Microsoft Office – is the productivity suite made available by the Redmond company. It includes everything needed to create text documents of various types, spreadsheets and presentations, thanks to Word, Excel and PowerPoint. The suite also includes the Outlook email client, which I told you about in the previous step. As you know, this is not a free solution. To use the suite you need to subscribe to the Office 365 subscription (with prices starting from € 7 / month), which you can also try for free for 30 days and also includes 1 TB of storage on OneDrive and the Access and Publisher programs. Alternatively, you can make the one-off purchase of the Home & Studen version of Office 2019 (at a cost of 149 euros) or of the individual applications on the Microsoft Store. For more details, I recommend reading my guide on how to install Office .
- LibreOffice – is the best free and open source alternative to Microsoft Office. It includes a set of programs practically similar to those offered by Microsoft and is perfectly compatible with the files generated by Word, Excel etc. It is in Italian and is updated fairly constantly. To find out more, you can refer to my post on how to download LibreOffice .
- NAPS2 – it is one of the best programs to scan Windows 10. It is free, but possibly also usable for commercial purposes, and allows, in fact, to digitize both documents and photographs. It is rather light, easy to use and is also available in a no-install variant. The output files can be saved in various formats and, in order not to miss anything, it also supports OCR technology (acronym for Optical Character Recognition), which allows you to recognize the writing characters in the scanned documents, returning PDFs with selectable text and / or editable. I told you about it in my guide on how to create PDF from images .
- AutoHotKey – powerful freeware software that allows you to automate the execution of many operations (e.g. starting programs or typing texts) by means of scripts to be created with a special programming language. It may not seem very intuitive, but once you understand how it works, exploiting it becomes a piece of cake. I told you about it in my guide on how to change key combinations .
- Adobe Acrobat Reader DC – is one of the most popular Windows 10 PDF programs. It allows, in fact, to view and edit the files belonging to the above typology in a simple and fast way. Basically it is completely free and allows you to view PDFs, insert digital signatures, add annotations and export files in various other formats. Eventually, however, it is also available in a paid version (at a cost of € 18.29 / month), which can be tried for free for 7 days, including some advanced features, such as editing the texts. For more details, you can read my article on how to download Adobe Reader .
- Evernote – is undoubtedly one of the best solutions available on the square for taking notes and annotations according to the PC (and not only). It allows you to create notes with attached texts, images and documents, organize them into notebooks and divide them according to tags and places. In addition, all content is automatically synchronized. It’s free, but in order to use the service on more than two devices and to block additional features, one of the pay plans must be subscribed (at the basic cost of 6.99 euros / month). For more information, read my guide on how Evernote works .
Windows 10 security programs
Considering the large amount of cyber threats that you hear about more or less on a daily basis, being able to count on programs for Windows 10 useful for system security is practically essential. Below, therefore, you will find those that I believe to be the best performing in the category.
- Windows Defender – is the Microsoft home antivirus and is included directly in the operating system. It is an extremely valid product which, in the most recent antivirus rankings, has shown that it has nothing to envy from the competitors’ solutions, both at zero cost and with payment. It manages to protect the PC from all the most common malware by acting in real time and without making the OS too heavy. I told you in depth in my guide on the subject and in my post on how to activate Windows Defender
- Bitdefender Free – appreciated antivirus for Windows PC that does not impact system resources and is highly effective. It is available in a free version, which has absolutely nothing to envy to the much more noble commercial solutions, which turns out to be very easy to use and which can count on an excellent scan engine capable of protecting the system in real time. For further information, you can read my post on how Bitdefender Free Edition works .
- Avast Free – free variant of a renowned antivirus that features a real-time scan module capable of promptly blocking viruses, ransomware, rootkits and other malware. It also integrates tools dedicated to the protection of Wi-Fi networks, the passwords in use on the computer and web browsing. Note that it is not particularly greedy in terms of performance. I told you about it in my article on how to install Avast Antivirus for free .
- AVG Free – cost-free antivirus that can count on an efficient real-time analysis and detection system capable of blocking viruses, spyware, ransomware, malware and many other categories of cyber threats “in the bud”. It also integrates a scan system for email, unsafe downloads and links and an additional module for analyzing PC performance. To learn more, read my article on how to download AVG for free .
- Malwarebytes – is one of the best antimalware out there for Windows 10 (and beyond). It can eradicate spyware, adware, promotional toolbars and other malicious software that can be difficult to find. It does not collide with the antivirus, as it does not act by analyzing the OS in real time, and it’s free. Note that a paid version is also available (with costs starting from 39.99 euros / year), which, on the other hand, offers continuous system monitoring. For more information, read my guide on how to download Malwarebytes .
- Malwarebytes AdwCleaner – is a small antimalware specifically designed to eliminate PUPs, toolbars and all those annoying software that can infest the PC. Note that it does not require installation to function and is fully part of the programs for Windows 10 for free, as completely at no cost. To learn more, you can read my guide on how to download Adwcleaner .
Programs to optimize Windows 10
If, on the other hand, you are looking for programs for Windows 10 that can allow you to optimize the performance of the operating system, you will certainly find the ones I have provided to report below. You can use them to free up disk space, delete “junk” files and perform various other useful operations for OS maintenance.
- Disk Cleanup – is the utility included in Windows 10 (and in other versions of the operating system), thanks to which, as the same name implies, it is possible to delete temporary files and no longer useful data that are present on the hard disk. I told you about it in my guide on how to clean your PC .
- Optimize Drive – this is the tool included in Windows 10 (and in other versions of the OS) to perform defragmentation, a fundamental routine operation to maintain the shape of a PC. Defragmenting the contents of a hard disk, in fact, allows you to “gather” and reorder the information that Windows saves in a fragmented way in parts of the disk distant from each other, in order to speed up the times with which the system is able to recall the files and programs. To learn more, read my article on how to defragment your PC hard drive .
- Error checking – this is another tool integrated in Windows 10 that checks and repairs damaged file systems and clusters in the hard disk. I told you in depth in my guide on how to correct errors on the hard disk .
- Task manager – is another tool pre-installed on Windows 10 that allows you to view and manage the processes running and those that run at startup, to know the current system performance etc. I told you about it in detail in my guides on how to end a process and how to see processes in the background .
- CCleaner – all-in-one solution that allows you to clear temporary files from your PC, clear your Internet cache, clear your download history etc. Basically it’s free, but there is also a paid version (with a base cost of 19.95 euros) that includes additional features, such as automatic monitoring of unnecessary files. I told you about it in detail in my guide on how to download and use CCleaner .
- WinDirStat – free and open source application that allows you to view all the files on the disk, organizing them in order of weight and showing a special chart through which you can more easily identify the data stored on the hard disk, depending on their type and quantity. I told you about it in my guide on how to clean the disk on Windows 10 .
Programs to draw and touch up photos on Windows 10
Are you looking for programs for Windows 10 through which you can draw and touch up photos ? I’ll settle for you right away! Below, in fact, you will find those that in my humble opinion represent the most “popular” solutions belonging to the category. Immediately put them to the test, you will see that they will give you satisfaction.
- Photo – is the default Windows 10 photo viewer which, however, also includes several useful tools to perform simple but effective photo editing operations, such as adjusting the brightness and contrast of images, cropping photos, applying filters etc. I told you about it in my specific review on programs to improve photos .
- Paint 3D – is the successor to the old Paint that Microsoft has made available for the latest version of its operating system. Allows you to create “classic” and three-dimensional designs. It’s free, it’s very simple to use and it includes many useful tools. It is found pre-installed on all PCs equipped with Windows 10 updated after April 2017. I told you about it in my article on how to use Paint .
- Photoshop – the photo editing program par excellence. It is suitable for both expert users, thanks to the advanced editing function available, and for beginners, who can take advantage of its simple and immediate interface to take their first steps in the world of photo editing. It allows you to make practically any type of editing on photos as well as create new images. To use it, you need to subscribe the special subscription (at a cost of 24.39 euros / month) or it can be merged with other Creative Cloud packages (with prices starting from 12.19 euros / month). However, you can try it for free for 30 days. For more details, read my guides on how to install Photoshop and how to use Photoshop .
- GIMP – very famous free and open source photo editing program that is considered by many to be one of the best free Photoshop alternatives. It allows you to improve the appearance of digital photos, apply special effects to images, distort them, resize them, rotate them and perform many other operations. For more information, you can read my guides on how to download GIMP and how to use GIMP .
- IrfanView – free software that allows you to view images and which also includes many useful functions for quick and easy photo editing operations, as well as converting, resizing and renaming files in series. I told you about it in my specific review on programs to edit photos .
- XnConvert – zero-cost software that allows you to edit photos in batches, crop them and rotate them, apply watermarks, change colors and perform various other editing operations. I told you about it in my article on programs for editing photos .
Video editing programs for Windows 10
You have to perform video editing operations but you don’t know which Windows 10 programs to appeal to to do this? Well, then you might want to consider the ones below. They can be used both by experts in this field and by beginners.
- Avidemux – free software that supports all major video file formats and allows you to edit, cut and edit them with ease. Note that it allows you to operate both in direct stream mode (without recompression) and in full processing mode (with video recoding). It has a somewhat spartan interface, but completely translated into Italian and is very simple to use. For more details, you can read my guide on how to use Avidemux .
- Kdenlive – free and open source program that focuses on video editing rather than applying effects and filters. However, it includes several useful functions for editing and is compatible with all major multimedia file formats. I told you about it in my article on the best video editors .
- Adobe Premier Pro – professional mold software to create and edit video made available by Adobe, which combines advanced functions and ease of use in the best possible way. To use it, you need to subscribe the special subscription (at a cost of 24.39 euros / month) or it can be merged with the Creative Cloud package (at a cost of 60.99 euros / month), but in all cases you can try it for free for 30 days. I told you about it in detail in my article on how to edit a video .
- Wondershare Filmora – a very simple to use program with a beautiful graphical interface that provides users with a wide range of functions to carry out the most diverse video editing operations. It allows, in fact, to cut and edit videos, apply effects, add background music, voices, texts, graphic elements etc. It supports all the most popular multimedia file formats and is free, but applies a watermark to the videos and provides other limitations that can be removed by switching to the paid version (at a cost of 44.99 euros / year or 69.99 euros one-off) . I told you about it in my article on free video editing programs .
- Lightworks – video editing program ideal for those looking for a tool to create and edit professional level movies but without having to spend anything. It is not very light and it is not even very easy to use, this must be said, but it ensures complete use of the potential of the computer. I told you about it in my specific review on programs to edit videos .
- VideoPad – another video editing software that I suggest you take seriously. It is designed to be used easily even by the less experienced and allows you to edit, cut and join videos using a convenient timeline. You can also add many custom transition effects and background music. It’s paid (it costs $ 3.88 / month or from $ 29.99 one-off), but you can try it for free for 30 days. I told you about it in my article focused on video editing programs .
Music programs for Windows 10
If you are looking for programs for Windows 10 to play and manage music , as well as to perform any audio editing operations, the ones in the list below are sure that they will attract your attention. What are you waiting to try them?
- Audacity – is one of the most famous and appreciated free programs to edit audio files. It is of an open source nature, supports the most popular audio file formats and allows you to intervene on them in various ways: by cutting them, applying special effects, mixing them etc. For further information, you can read my tutorial on how to use Audacity .
- Adobe Audition – is one of the most powerful and popular audio editing programs out there. It allows you to work on an unlimited number of tracks simultaneously, offers a vast set of instruments for music processing and includes many filters capable of meeting anyone’s needs. It is paid: to use it, you need to subscribe to the single product (at a cost of 24.39 euros / month) or you can subscribe to the complete Creative Cloud plan (at a cost of 60.99 euros / month). In all cases, you can try it for free for 30 days. I told you about it in my article on music editing programs .
- Mp3DirectCut – excellent tool to turn to for editing files in MP3 format, as the name suggests. It allows, in fact, to cut, copy, merge and increase the volume of the musical pieces directly, that is to say without requiring recoding or reworking when saving. It’s completely in Italian, it also supports editing of MP3 file tags and it’s free. I told you about it in my guide on programs to cut songs .
- VLC – is a famous multimedia player, totally free and of an open source nature, thanks to which it is possible to reproduce practically every kind of audio and video format, without having to resort to the use of external codecs. It also includes convenient functions for quick editing. To learn more, you can read my guide on how to download VLC .
- Spotify – is the client of one of the most used music streaming services in the world. Allows you to listen to the songs available on the service, but also to organize the computer’s music library. Note that basic Spotify is free, as is the download of the related program for Windows, but in order to take advantage of some advanced features, such as the removal of advertising and the offline download of the songs, you must subscribe to the paid subscription cost of 9.99 euros / month), which can be tried for free for a limited period. For more details, read my guides on how to download Spotify for free and how Spotify works .
- iTunes – is the free Apple software to play multimedia content, as well as to enjoy Apple Music (the service for streaming music of the “bitten apple”) and to manage iPhone and iPad that are connected to the computer. To learn more, you can consult my guides on how to download iTunes , how iTunes works and how Apple Music works .
Other useful programs for Windows 10
To conclude, I want to point out all those other programs for Windows 10 that for one reason or another do not fall into any of the categories that I have already indicated but which still deserve to be taken into consideration. Here they are.
- HandBrake – renowned free and open source software that allows you to perform video conversion operations, so that you can play them more easily on any operating system and device, and to “rip” DVDs. To learn more, check out my posts on how to convert video files and how to rip a DVD .
- Recuva – have you accidentally deleted files on your computer or on any external media and would you like to understand if there is a way to recover them? Then you can try to rely on this free and easy-to-use program capable of acting on portions of memory that have not yet been overwritten. For more details, see my specific guide on how Recuva works .
- Netflix – to the delight of all fans of TV series and films part of the Netflix catalog, the famous video streaming service can also be used in the form of a specific application specific for Windows 10. Its operation is good or bad similar to that of the website and other applications and the download is free. To use the service, however, you need to subscribe to a paid subscription (with costs starting from 7.99 euros / month). For more details, you can read my guides on how to install Netflix , how to subscribe to Netflix and how Netflix works .
- 7-Zip – have you never heard of it? Strange, it is very famous! However, let’s fix it immediately: it is a free and open source software that allows you to decompress all the most popular compressed archive formats (ZIP, 7z, DMG, RAR etc.). It also supports password-protected and multi-volume archives and also allows you to create new compressed files. I told you about it in detail in my review of ZIP programs .
- uTorrent – if you need to download Torrent files, the best suggestion I can offer you is undoubtedly to rely on this program, which is practically the client par excellence for downloading files of this type. Basically it is free, but possibly it is available in a paid version (at a cost of 19.95 euros / year) which removes advertising and includes other extra features. For further information, read my guides on how to download uTorrent for free , how to use uTorrent and how to configure uTorrent .
- ImgBurn – excellent tool to burn CDs and DVDs simply and for free. He is also famous for his ability to clone the disks that are given to him “in the meal” and to generate ISO files. I told you about it in my review of the software to burn and in my guides on how to duplicate a DVD and how to create a disc image .