PEC free: Do you need to send a very important email and would you like to be sure it reached the recipient? At work they explained to you that companies must have a PEC, but you don’t know how to activate one for your company? If these are some of the questions you are asking yourself, you will be happy to know that you have come across the right tutorial.
In today’s tutorial, in fact, I will explain to you what the PEC is, that is certified e-mail, and how to get a free PEC . Additionally, I’ll also give you an overview of the main paid PEC offers, as there are some really cheap ones you might want to consider.
Having said that, if you are now curious to know more and can’t wait to start, sit down comfortably and pay the utmost attention to the information I am about to give you, in order to find an answer to these questions and succeed in intent that you proposed. At this point, all I have to do is wish you a good read.
How the PEC works
Let’s start with the basics, that is, what the PEC is . The PEC (acronym for Certified Electronic Mail) is a tool for the electronic transmission of communications that require a delivery receipt and a delivery receipt, through which citizens, companies and the Public Administration can exchange emails having the same legal value as a registered letter with acknowledgment of receipt. It can be used to request information from public offices, send documents, communications and much more.
From 30 June 2013 it is mandatory for all companies, including sole proprietorships, which must register at least one certified email address in the Register of Companies, and Freelancers, if registered in an association or board. However, how this technology works is not yet clear to everyone. Indeed, we can say that the level of diffusion of certified mail compared to the initial estimates is very limited.
Many still wonder if it is necessary to buy special devices to use the PEC, if traditional mail clients, such as Outlook or Mozilla Thunderbird, support it. Furthermore, it is still unclear to many whether to open a certified email address one must necessarily pay, or if it is possible to create a free PEC mailbox . Well, I think it’s time to clarify some things. So let’s try to tackle the topic together and try to get to know this “mysterious” certified mail more closely.
In this regard, let’s start with one of the most popular questions: is it necessary to use particular devices or specific software to manage the PEC? The answer is no. If you are afraid of having to upset your habits or use uncomfortable keys to carry around, don’t worry: to use the PEC you do not have to install any particular program on your PC nor do you have to buy devices to connect to your computer.
Certified e-mail addresses can be used in all the most popular e-mail clients, such as Microsoft Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird and Apple Mail , via the POP and IMAP protocols .
Most of them are also accessible via browser (such as Gmail) while access from portable devices is possible but in some cases it can be limited, i.e. it is unlocked only to those who subscribe to a particular type of subscription.
In summary, the difference from standard e-mail addresses lies in the control system, which certifies the authenticity of each message. To put it simply, each email sent via certified e-mail is taken over by the sender’s manager who verifies compliance with the standards, after which it is “enveloped”, sent to the recipient’s manager, subjected to further verification and, finally, delivered .
The whole operation – which takes a few seconds – is accompanied by the receipt of notifications relating to the acceptance of the emails by the manager and the delivery of the latter by the recipient.
Free private PEC
And now we come to the hottest question: is it possible to open a free PEC account ? Unfortunately, the answer is nì .
Today, to open a PEC account, you can only contact private companies which, as easily understood, only provide paid services (with annual or monthly subscription), some of them however offer free trial periods during which it is possible to test certified mail without spending money. A few examples? I’ll settle you immediately: you can find more details in the following lines.
Legalmail is a paid certified mail service mainly oriented to professionals. The company in question, however, allows you to try its Silver plan for free for 6 months , which includes an 8GB PEC mailbox, a security archive to be used as a backup, access from mobile via the appropriate app for Android and iOS / iPadOS , as well as SMS notifications. At the end of the initial trial period, the cost is 39 euros + VAT per year.
That said, if you want to try Legalmail’s Silver plan for free, connect to its official website and press the Try for free button , in order to register for the service and activate the certified mailbox, following the instructions on the screen.
Register.it , a company known for the purchase of domains, also offers the possibility of activating its PEC service free of charge for 6 months . In case of non-renewal, however, an exit fee of 9.90 euros must be paid.
In this case, the plan available for the trial is the one called PEC Agile , which includes a 2GB mailbox with an unlimited number of emails that can be sent daily, notifications via SMS and access from mobile and Web. At the end of the trial, you pay 24, € 90 / year + VAT or € 9.90 one-off in case of non-renewal.
If you intend to activate the free trial version of the Agile PEC , connect to the official Register website , press the Activate now button and follow the instructions on the screen, to complete the registration and activation of the PEC.
Free government certified e-mail
If you wonder if there is a free PEC made available by the Government, you have probably heard of PostaCertificat @ .
PEC free INPS
The free PEC offered by INPS (and the one made available by ACI) also suffered the same fate as PostaCertificat @.
In any case, know that these were CEC-PAC services and not complete PEC boxes, this means that they allowed to communicate only with Public Administration bodies and not with other private individuals. They were limited services, in short.
PEC for a fee
And now let’s take a complete overview of the offers of the main PEC providers. As just mentioned, these are paid plans, but some of them are so cheap that they are definitely worth considering.
- Aruba PEC– one of the most used and complete PEC services on the market. The well-known Italian company that has been operating for years in the sectors of online practices, Web hosting and the cloud offers a solution that allows private citizens, businesses, professionals and Public Administrations to communicate in a simple way and with high security standards. The service has, in fact, multiple antivirus and antispam, blocking of unsafe attachments, uses the secure protocol TLS 1.2 and complies with all the rules of the GDPR for the processing of personal data. Communications have a legal value equal to that of registered mail with return receipt and cannot be rejected. In addition, the PEC Aruba boxes are valid for digital domicile (mandatory from 1 October 2020 for companies and professionals, to receive communications from the PA).Android and iPhone / iPad (equally advanced) and from any third party client (via IMAP protocol ). Plans are available for all needs: Standard PEC (5 euros + VAT / year the first year and then 7.90 euros + VAT / year) with a 1GB mailbox, email notifications, unlimited traffic, 24-hour assistance, sending messages with size up to 100MB and support for 500 recipients in a single mailing; PEC Pro (25 euros + VAT / year) which adds to the advantages of the Standard plan 2GB of space, notifications via SMS and security archive with 3GB of space and finally PEC Premium(40 euros + VAT / year), which includes all the advantages of PEC Pro but with 8GB of space for the archive. It is also possible to activate a PEC mailbox on a domain (from 7.90 euros + VAT / year).
- PosteCert by Poste Italiane – is among the cheapest certified mail services of the moment. Its plan for private users costs € 5.50 + VAT per year and includes a 100MB certified email account with a maximum number of 200 mailings per day. The one reserved for business users , on the other hand, includes 5 1GB mailboxes with 200 mailings per day. Here you will find the instructions to configure PosteCert in e-mail clients via POP or IMAP.
- KOLST PEC – this is a very valid alternative to the PEC of Aruba. Its basic plan, called Smart , offers a mailbox with 1GB of space, unlimited mailings, access via Web-Mail and receipt notifications at a cost of 5 euros + VAT per year. Alternatively there is the Dominio 5 plan which at a cost of 10 euros + VAT per year offers a 5GB mailbox with a personalized domain, while at the top of the list there is the Domain 10 PEC which costs 30 euros / year + VAT and includes a 5GB mailbox with custom domain and SMS alerts. To find out the IMAP / POP parameters needed to configure KOLST mailboxes in e-mail clients, consult this web page .
- LiberoPEC – is Libero’s certified mail service reserved for private and professional users. The Family PEC plan costs € 9.90 per year (VAT included) and offers a PEC with 1 GB of space. The PEC Unlimited plan , on the other hand, costs 25 euros + VAT per year and offers unlimited space for messages, which is increased as needed. It also allows mobile access. On this Web page you will find the instructions to configure Libero PEC via IMAP or POP in all the most popular e-mail clients.
- LegalMail – as also pointed out previously, this is a service intended mainly for the professional public, therefore it has on average higher prices than the other PEC providers we talked about previously. Its entry-level plan is PEC Bronze which at a price of 25 euros + VAT per year offers a 5GB PEC mailbox with security archive, SMS notifications and smartphone access. A step higher is the PEC Silver offer which at a price of 39 euros + VAT per year offers an 8GB mailbox with mobile access, security archive and SMS notifications (it is the only one that you can try for free for 6 months before the purchase), finally, there is the “top” plan called PEC Gold which costs 75 euros + VAT per year and includes a 15GB mailbox complete with SMS notifications, security archive and access from portable devices. Here you will find instructions to set up LegalMail via POP or IMAP for Thunderbird and Outlook .
- Register.it – is another service we have already talked about previously. Its basic plan is PEC Agile which offers a 2GB PEC mailbox, notifications via SMS and access from smartphones and the Web, costs 33.90 euros / year + VAT but you can try it for free for 6 months. A step further up is the Unica PEC plan which for 43 euros / year + VAT offers a 3GB or 5GB mailbox. However, some promotional periods are offered for the purchase of a discounted PEC Unica. The IMAP and POP3 parameters for configuring Register.it’s PEC can be found on this Web page .
Article created in collaboration with Aruba.