How to take artistic selfies: Browsing through the photos you have posted on your social media profiles in recent weeks, you have noticed that your selfies are anything but original: in many of these photos you almost always assume the same expression and even the settings in which you took them are somewhat monotonous. . Would you like to change the situation for the better by giving an “artistic touch” to your next self-portraits? So let me tell you: you’ve come to the right place at the right time!
In the next paragraphs, in fact, I will explain you step-by-step how to take artistic selfies that will leave all your friends speechless. To be more precise, in the first part of the tutorial I will give you some practical advice on how to take original shots, while in the second part I will show you how a couple of apps suitable for the purpose work.
So, what are you doing still standing there? Courage: make yourself comfortable, take all the time you need to concentrate on reading the next paragraphs and, more importantly, try to put into practice the instructions I will give you. I am convinced that, thanks to my “tips”, you will be able to come up with truly original self-portraits. I wish you good reading and, above all, have fun!
Tips for taking artistic selfies
There are various steps you can take to succeed take artistic selfies. Here are some tips that, if followed, will surely help you to create original self-portraits, which are distinguishable “from the crowd”.
- Pay attention to the quality of the shot – this is the first suggestion that you would do well to put into practice, otherwise you risk frustrating all the efforts you will make to get original shots. Pay attention, therefore, to the lighting of the photo, trying not to take it in too bright or too dark places (otherwise you would inevitably run into problems of overexposure or underexposure), take care of your personal appearance by dressing and curling up with taste and avoid unnatural poses. If you want to learn more about these and other aspects about how to take perfect selfies, read the guide that I linked to where I have provided you with other tips on the matter.
- Use a good camera – another fundamental precaution is what concerns the quality of the camera to be used, which must be of good quality. If you are about to change mobile phones and are looking for a good camera phone to use for your selfies, take a look at my buying guide dedicated to camera phones. If, on the other hand, you want to go one step further and start taking selfies with a DSLR or a mirrorless, take a look at my buying guide dedicated to cameras.
- Find an interesting location – you will hardly be able to take artistic selfies while sitting on the armchair. Go out and find an interesting location, which can provide you with many ideas to take particular and refined shots. You don’t necessarily have to go who knows what tourist destination to find a place that helps you develop creativity: start from some interesting place in your city (e.g. the historic center, a park, a beach, etc.).
- Play with perspective – after finding an interesting location, you can try to follow this advice, which is one of the most important if you want to get a self-portrait worthy of being defined as artistic. How can you manage to play with perspective? Look around and try to find some element that could help you in this regard (for example a particularly tall building) and position the camera of your mobile phone trying to capture an interesting scene (in the example of the building, you could position it in such a way as to immortalize your face and behind you the building in all its entirety, taken from the bottom up).
- Imagine the final result you want to achieve – trying to mentally visualize the final result you want to obtain can certainly help you find interesting ideas that will be useful for taking particular and interesting selfies. While it’s not always easy to work with imagination, this is the basis of an artistic shot.
- Catch the moment – unexpectedly did you find yourself in an interesting or even suggestive place? Has a particular event occurred? This could be the right occasion to make an original self-timer.
- Take more photos – following this advice will not only allow you to choose the shot that came out best, but will also allow you to have more opportunities to experiment and find interesting and particular shots.
- Use additional smartphone lenses – if you want to give an original touch to the photos taken with your smartphone, you can think about using additional lenses to apply to the camera. There are various types and prices, to obtain effects such as macro or wide angle. The results obtained are not of excellent quality or, at least, they cannot be compared to those obtained with the various optics of the cameras, but in terms of originality of the shots obtained they can absolutely have their say. Below I point out a couple of kits among those that offer the best value for money.
- Use the right app – resorting to the help of some apps to take selfies can be decisive for making artistic shots, especially if for one reason or another you do not have the opportunity to follow some of the indications I have listed in the previous points. If you want to learn more about the use of some of these apps, all you have to do is consult the next chapters of the tutorial.
App for taking artistic selfies
If you want to resort to using some app to take artistic selfies, know that there are many suitable for the purpose. Below I want to describe in detail the operation of a couple of them which, in my humble opinion, are among the best on the square.
Prisma (Android / iOS / iPadOS)
One of the best apps for making artistic selfies is Prism. If you have never heard of it, it is an application that, thanks to a very efficient algorithm, is able to transform any face into a real digital work of art. Its only real “flaw” concerns the fact that the Internet connection must be active to work, as the photo processing takes place via the cloud.
Before explaining how Prisma works, I would like to tell you that the app can be used for free, but to access all its filters and to process the photos in high definition, a Premium subscription is required, which starts from 7 , 99 euros / month.
After installing and starting Prisma on your device Android or iOS / iPadOStap the button Next twice in a row and then press on (x) to close the screen advertising the paid version of the app. Then, take the photo to be edited by pressing on white dot located in the center of the screen or, if you prefer, presses on the item Gallery located below if you intend to edit a selfie that you have already saved in the gallery of your smartphone or tablet.
After taking the selfie or importing one from the Gallery, you just have to select one of the many filters available (eg. Dallas, surf, Femme, etc.) and wait a few moments for the Prisma algorithm to process the photo by applying the desired filter. Please note that filters marked with the padlock they are only available for Premium users.
Once the processing is completed, move your finger to the right and / or to the left to increase and / or decrease the application of the filter and, if necessary, press the button with the adjustment rods to change the parameters of the photo and possibly choose whether to apply the filter only to the subject, only to the background or to both (just press the button depicting thelittle man).
If you apply the changes in question, remember to save them by tapping the button (✓) and, if you are satisfied with the result, press the share button and then save the retouched image locally or share it on social networks.
MSQRD is another app that I recommend you to try if you want to take original selfies. This free solution, in fact, allows you to virtually “wear” masks representing various characters and animals, offering a final result of sure impact. If you are subscribed to Facebook you will not have difficulty using it, as it works in a similar way to the camera of the official app of the famous social network (it is no coincidence that this was purchased by the company founded by Mark Zuckerberg which has included the technology on its platform ).
After installing and launching MSQRD on your device Android or iOS / iPadOSpresses the button Log in with Facebook if you want to connect your account to the app or tap on the option Use MSQRD without logging in not to. Then, tap on the icon of cameraso as to activate the mode Photoselect one of the many masks among those listed at the bottom of the screen and try to position your face inside the perimeter indicated.
Mission accomplished! Now you simply have to let the MSQRD algorithm do its job by adapting the mask you have selected to your face and press on the shutter button placed in the center of the screen (bottom) to take the selfie. Finally, share it on social networks or save it locally by pressing the appropriate buttons.
Note: before taking a picture with MSQRD, I suggest you remove your glasses (if you are wearing them), because from the tests I have carried out I have found that these could prevent the algorithm from correctly recognizing your face.