How to remove Gmail account: Would you like to deactivate your Gmail mailbox without closing your Google account? Need help removing or changing your Gmail account in Outlook or Apple Mail? Don’t worry, you’ve come to the right place at the right time. All you have to do is take five minutes of free time and follow the directions I am about to give you.
With today’s guide, we will discover together how to deactivate a Gmail mailbox without closing its Google account; how to remove gmail account from all major e-mail clients; how to remove a Gmail address from Android or iOS and how to permanently close a Google account (with attached Gmail account). They are all very simple operations to carry out but, at the same time, very drastic: they mean the loss of a lot of potentially important data.
If you want to avoid nasty surprises, carefully follow the instructions below and create a nice backup of all your data: Gmail emails and contacts but also files related to other Google services you have used through your account. So, are you ready to get started? It won’t take long, I promise.
Preliminary operations: backup emails and contacts
Before deactivating your Gmail account, take a few minutes of free time and find out how to create a backup copy of the messages and contacts in your inbox.
- Connect to google.it or Google. com;
- Click on the button Log in located at the top right and log in to your Google account (if you have not already done so);
- Click on Your photo placed at the top right and presses the button Personal account present in the box that opens;
- Select the item Check your content from the box Personal information and privacy (in the center of the page that has opened);
- Click on the button Create archive;
- Activate options related to Contacts, Gmail and to all the data of the Google services you want to create a backup copy of (remember that the more active options, the longer it will take to create the backup);
- Click on the buttons Forward And Create archive.
When the backup files are ready, you will receive an email with a link to download them. Creating the backup could take several hours, or even several days. It all depends on the amount of data to be processed.
If you prefer, you can also create a backup of your Gmail messages by setting up your account in a traditional email client and downloading the emails locally. Find out how to do it in my tutorial on how to read Gmail mail.
Now let’s see how to remove Gmail without closing its Google account. This is an extremely simple operation that takes just a few seconds, all you have to do is connect to google.it or Google. comclick on Your photo located at the top right and press the button Personal account present in the box that appears.
On the page that opens, click on the item Delete your account or your services which is on the right (in the box Account preferences). Then click on the option Delete productslog back into your Google account and select the icon trash can placed next to the item Gmail.
At this point, put the check mark next to the item Yes, I want to permanently delete [email@example.com] and remove it from my Google accountspecify in the field New primary email address the email address you want to use to access your Google account (instead of the Gmail you are about to delete) and type your Google account password in the field Current password. Click on the button Remove Gmail and that’s it, your Gmail account will be deleted while your Google account will remain active.
Delete a Google account
You want to remove Gmail account and close the Google account associated with the latter? If so, make sure you’ve created a copy of backup of all your data (not just emails and contacts) and proceed by following the instructions below.
Connect to google.it or Google. comclick on Your photo placed at the top right and presses the button Personal account present in the box that appears.
On the page that opens, click on the item Delete your account or your services located on the right, presses the button Delete Google account and data and log back into your Google account. Then put the check mark next to the items Yes, I acknowledge that I am still responsible for all charges arising from any pending financial transactions and I understand that in certain circumstances my earnings will not be paid And Yes, I would like to permanently delete this Google account and all related data and click on the button Delete account to confirm the closure of your Google account.
By closing your Google account you will no longer be able to access Gmail, YouTube, Google Calendar and all other “big G” services. Furthermore, you will no longer be able to access the files stored on Google Drive, you will no longer be able to synchronize the data of your Android devices online and you will not be able to synchronize Chrome data. Think carefully before doing it!
Remove Gmail account from an email client
Now let’s see how to remove gmail account from a traditional email client, such as Microsoft Outlook, Apple Mail, or Thunderbird.
- Microsoft Outlook – go to the menu File at the top left, click on the button Account settings and select the item Account settings from the menu that appears. In the window that opens, select the tab Emailselect the Gmail account to delete and click on the button Remove which is located at the top.
- Apple Mail – go to the menu Mail> Accounts at the top left, select the account Google to be deleted and presses the button – (less) located at the bottom left.
- Thunderbird – press the button alt on the PC keyboard to view the Thunderbird menus, go to the menu Tools> Account Settings of the program and select the Gmail account to remove. Then select the item Delete account from the drop-down menu located at the bottom left and that’s it.
Remove Gmail accounts from smartphones and tablets
Do you want to unlink your Gmail account from your Android device? Do you want to remove your Gmail account from the iPhone Mail application? No problem, these are two very simple operations. Find out now how to put them into practice.
- To remove a Gmail account from Android – go to the menu Settings of Android (the gear icon located on the screen with the list of all the apps installed on the device) and select the item Account from the latter. He then clicks on the logo of Googleselect yours Gmail address from the menu that opens and first presses the button (…) which is located at the top right and then on the item Remove account.
- To remove a Gmail account from iPhone – go to the menu Settings iOS device (the gear icon on the home screen) and select the item Mail from the latter. Then go up Accountselect the item related to your account Gmail and presses the button Delete account twice in a row.
For more information on the procedure required to delete Google account from Android and replace it with another address, consult my guide on the subject. The same goes for the procedure for configuring Gmail on iPhone, to which I have dedicated a guide that I think could be useful for you.