Between social networks, applications to watch streaming TV series, instant messaging applications, the gigabytes of the Internet tariff plan on the mobile phone are consumed quickly, don’t they? Now you can no longer be without your trusty smartphone with which you carry out many daily activities. Running out of data traffic would be a big problem, especially if you are away from home and you do not have the possibility to connect to the Wi-Fi of your home network. How to get free internet on Android ? Is it possible to always have an Internet connection, without paying big bucks? If these are some of the questions you are asking yourself, you are in luck: I have the answers you are looking for.
In the course of this tutorial I will provide you in detail some tips that I am sure you will consider of vital importance: I will explain how you can have free Internet on your Android device, taking advantage of public hotspots, also revealing other small technological gems that will help you not to be left without. Internet connection. Obviously these are completely legal solutions, let’s make it clear immediately.
How do you say? Are you looking forward to learning what I have in store for you in this tutorial of mine? I imagined. So I advise you to take a few minutes of free time; pay attention to me and, smartphone in hand, carefully read the information I am about to give you. You will see, I’m sure they will suit you and you will be very happy to have read this guide. Let it bet? Have a good reading.
How to get free Internet on Android via hotspot
The first method I want to tell you about to be able to have free Internet on Android is to take advantage of public hotspots distributed in large and small cities. These public hotspots are nothing more than Internet access points offered by public institutions (such as parks, libraries, squares, public buildings) or by private entities (such as bars, restaurants or hairdressers) to offer greater service to customer. Accessing these hotspots is completely legal and free.
Public hotspots usually do not have an access password, but it may happen that those made available by private entities require one. In any case, look around and look for the sign indicating that the area has free Wi-Fi access; on it you will find the password or the instructions to obtain it. You can also request it from the staff, if it is a private entity or if you are inside a public building.
Websites with the map of public hotspots
If you plan to reach a specific area of a city and want to know in advance where to find the free public hotspots to access with your Android device, you can consult the list of websites that show maps with their location.
- Wifimaps was born mainly as an app for mobile devices, but you can consult its interactive map via its website. There is no location search bar, but you can move freely on the map to view the place where to see availability. of hotspots. By clicking on the blue icons that identify an available hotspot, you will be able to view the name of the Wi-Fi network and possibly also the comments added by users. These comments may describe your user experience or may contain the hotspot login password.
- FON is a company that offers the possibility of viewing, through an interactive map, the entire network of its hotspot networks. To be able to access it, you need to be part of the project or have a pass from a specific telecommunication company. In Italy, for example, Vodafone offers Vodafone Wi-Fi Community , the pass for free access to FON networks around the world at no additional cost.
- Wiman is a website that has a very large community. Through this free serviceyou will be able to view a detailed map of all the public hotspots made available by the community members themselves. What you will need to do is to simply enter the name of the city in the search bar and press Enter on the keyboard. A detailed map will show you all the hotspots shared with the Wiman community.
- Hotspots Wi-Fi Italia is another service that allows the identification of public hotspots available, however, only in the Italian territory. This service aggregates hotspots by location and then displays a list of individual access points. By clicking on one of them, you can also view other additional information, such as coverage and the type of protocol used.
In addition to the sites I have just recommended, you can also go to the institutional site of your city and check if public hotspots are active, made available for free . Usually the service is managed and cared for, so that the list of the locations of the public hotspots of the Municipality can always be updated. You can find the pages dedicated to this public service by accessing your favorite search engine and typing a wording such as [common name] Wi-Fi hostspot or [common name] Free Wi-Fi . I propose below as an example a list of websites of some large Italian cities that show the location of public hotspots:
App with the map of public hotspots
In addition to the websites that can be consulted to view the location of public hotspots, there are also apps used for the same purpose. I will list below some apps for Android devices that can help you find free internet access points . Please note that these apps may require an active internet connection to view the hotspot database. Others, on the other hand, download the database to your smartphone, so that they can also be consulted in offline mode.
- WiFi Map ( Android ) – Thanks to the vast online community that contributes to enriching the database of this free app , it is possible to find public and free access points, in addition to those made available by the users themselves. Through a dedicated section, it is possible to download the entire database for each single city, so that it can be consulted in complete tranquility even without an internet connection.
- Wifimaps ( Android ) – I have already told you about this service before, due to the possibility of using its website to consult public hotspots. Through the app free , in fact, you can refer directly to your device the position of each hotspot and, if necessary, by tapping on a counter near you, calculate the distance between you and the selected access point. There is also a paid version of the app with some additional features, such as comments and passwords for some networks. You can find this paid version on the PlayStore .
- Instabridge ( Android ) – As with other app I told you, even Instabridge allows to display so free the huge database of hotspots available worldwide. It is also possible to download the database of the individual regions of the world. Simply enter the app settings, select the Offline Regions item and then download the databases of the areas of the world that interest you. Then, through the different colors of the hotspots indicated on the map, you can understand if the hotspot works often or not.
- Facebook ( Android ) is the famous app Free Social Network. For the uninitiated, within the Facebook app it is possible to view the nearby public Wi-Fi networks. Did not you know? I’ll immediately explain how to find the built-in functionality. Tap the menu symbol ☰ , located at the top right and scroll through the list until you find the App section . Tap on the wording just below Show all and, from the list, select the item Find Wi-Fi . There you will find a list of places near you (I advise you to activate geolocation). From this screen, tap the Map button at the top, to view the map of the location of the hotspots closest to you. The flaw of this Facebook feature is that it requires an active internet connection to access the hotspot database.
- Avast Wi-Fi Finder ( Android ) is an application developed by famous antivirus protection software Avast. This application, completely free , will allow you to access a database, even offline, of hotspots available all over the world.
How to create a private hotspot
Another method that allows you to have free Internet on your Android device is to ask your friend to share their internet connection with you via a private hotspot.
To perform this procedure on another Android device, go to Settings ( icon with a gear ) on your friend’s device. Tap Network and Internet and then tap Hotpost and Tethering . Then move the lever from OFF to ON (from left to right) near the item Wi-Fi Hotspot .
If your friend, on the other hand, has a device with iOS, go to the Home Screen of his iPhone / iPad and tap the Settings app ( icon with a gear ). Tap Personal Hotspot to access the network share. Under Personal Hotspot , move the lever from left to right, in order to activate the hotspot.
If you want more details or you have problems configuring a hotspot on your friend’s device, you can follow the detailed procedure I wrote in my guide entitled “how to share the data connection”.
How to access hotspots from Android
After you have found a way to connect to the internet for free, whether through a public or private hotspot, you will now need to connect to it. You don’t know how to do it, do you? There’s no problem. Continue reading below to make the procedure for connecting to a Wi-Fi network quickly and easily. I will show you the procedure below using an Android device with version 8 (Oreo).
Access the Settings ( gear icon ) of your device and select the Network and Internet item . Now tap on the Wi-Fi item and move the lever from OFF to ON . After a few seconds, you will then see all the networks available around you. Then select the network that has the same name as the hotspot you prefer. If the Wi-Fi network does not require a password, then you will log in automatically; otherwise, type the access key to it to connect.
If you want to learn more, I refer you to my guide in which I explain how to connect to WiFi.
Other methods to have free Internet on Android through a telephone operator
An alternative solution to public hotspots is that offered by some telecommunications companies. In fact, some of them offer free of charge , together with the subscription of a subscription, a pass to access the many hotspots managed by them.
An example is Fastweb , which, through the WOW FI service , offers all its fixed and mobile telephony customers a free pass to access all Fastweb hotspots. If you are interested in the subject, I invite you to read this guide of mine in which I explain in more detail how WOW FI works. You can also consult my guide dedicated to Fastweb offers.
Another operator engaged in the dissemination of free hotspots for its customers is Vodafone . As I mentioned before, Vodafone offers its customers, who have a Vodafone Casa contract with Station 2 and Revolution , a pass called Vodafone Wi-Fi Community . With this pass, you will be able to access Vodafone and FON hotspots, available all over the world. If you want more information on the subject, you can reach the dedicated section on the Vodafone website. If you are interested in Vodafone offers, you can consult my guide dedicated to Vodafone Casa offers.
If, on the other hand, you are looking for a way to have unlimited internet on your mobile device, you can subscribe to a subscription which, having consumed all the megabytes of your tariff plan, will allow you to continue browsing unlimitedly and without additional costs, even if with reduced speed.
An example is Wind which allows you to surf even if you have consumed all the traffic of the tariff plan. However, the maximum speed will be set to a maximum of 128 kbps. If you are interested in a Wind SIM you can view my guide dedicated to Wind offers.
What I have mentioned to you are just a few examples of how you can get free Internet on Android. In general, I recommend that you also browse Sos Tariffs , to keep an eye on the offers of all telephone operators, both fixed and mobile, so that you can compare all their offers. You can view the section dedicated to ADSL, or the section dedicated to mobile rates or the section for Internet-only rates for smartphones and tablets.