How to download GTA: The one of GTA (Grand Theft Auto) it is one of the most long-lived and popular video game sagas in history. His fame is second only to that of timeless masterpieces such as Super Mario, Pac-Man or Tetris. However, strange but true, you never got to play with it! In fact, if you are here, it is precisely because you hear about GTA all the time and you have had a tremendous desire to try it.
Well, let me say that you came to the right place at the right time! With today’s tutorial, in fact, I will explain how to download GTA and I will show you all the steps you need to take to run the game on PC, video game consoles, smartphones and tablets. Yes, because there are various versions of the Rockstar Games masterpiece, several chapters have come out and many of them are available on multiple devices and multiple software platforms.
In short: whether you have a gaming PC, a video game console or “just” a smartphone at your disposal, I assure you that you will be able to play GTA and enter the mechanics of this saga which – with all its contradictions – is a absolute reference point in the field of interactive multimedia works. Happy reading and enjoy!
Download GTA for free
All GTA chapters are available for download, but it’s hardly possible to find them for free. The only exceptions are occasional promotions from game stores. In May 2020, for example Epic Games Store, allowed to Download GTA 5 for free to its users. However, these are single events limited in time.
For the rest, the only legal way to download GTA for free is to download the demo. However, even in this case, Rockstar is not used to release free trial versions of its masterpieces, so be careful: if on the Internet you find sites that promise to download demos of GTA, especially demos of the most recent versions of the saga, they may hide ends fraudsters or even malware.
Rockstar, on its official website, offers only demos of the very first titles in the saga (e.g. GTA is GTA 2), but unfortunately they don’t work very well on recent PCs, so I don’t advise you to download them.
With regard to i GTA prices: well, as easily understood, the most recent titles in the saga can even cost 60 euros, while those of a few years ago can be found under 10 euros: there is something for everyone, in short.
Chapters of GTA
Let’s start with a brief summary of all the chapters that make up the GTA saga: in this way you will find out which titles are compatible with your devices and, therefore, which are best for you.
- GTA 5 – this is the most recent chapter of the saga, as well as the most complete and exciting one. It came out in 2013 and is available for PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One and PC. Includes an online multiplayer mode, called Grand Theft Auto Online, which allows you to carry out cooperative missions with a maximum number of 30 players. Various free expansions are available (DLC) that allow you to enrich the online gaming experience.
- GTA 4 – Released in 2008, this chapter of the saga is available for PS3, Xbox 360 and PC. It includes an online multiplayer mode that allows you to play cooperatively up to a maximum of 16 players. Two expansions are available: The Lost and Damned is The Ballad of Gay Tony, both included in the Complete Edition of the game released in 2010.
- GTA: San Andreas – originally released in 2004, it is available for PS2, Xbox, PC, Mac, Android, iOS, Windows Phone 8 and Windows RT.
- GTA: Vice City – with its 80s setting, it is one of the most popular and loved chapters of the saga. It originally came out in 2002 and is compatible with PS2, Xbox, PC, Mac, Android and iOS.
- GTA 3 – was the first three-dimensional chapter of Grand Theft Auto, the one that consecrated the saga in the modern videogame era. It originally came out in 2001 and is compatible with PS2, Xbox, PC, Mac, Android and iOS.
- GTA 2 – the second chapter of the saga, still in 2D with a top view. It was released in 1999 on PlayStation, Sega Dreamcast, PC and Game Boy Color. In some promotional periods it has been made available for download at no cost (via the Rockstar Games website).
- GTA – this is the first, historic chapter of Grand Theft Auto released in 1997. It is available for PlayStation, PC and Game Boy Color.
In addition to the seven main chapters of the saga, there are also collections and spin-offs from Grand Theft Auto that can be purchased and / or downloaded from the Internet.
- Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – is a collection containing GTA 3, GTA: San Andreas and GTA: Vice City. It is available for Windows and Mac PCs.
- Grand Theft Auto Collection – is a collection that contains GTA 3, GTA 4, GTA: San Andreas, GTA: Vice City and Episodes From Liberty City (hence the expansions of GTA 4 The Lost and Damned is The Ballad of Gay Tony in standalone version).
- GTA: Chinatown Wars – it is a mobile chapter of GTA with old school graphics and top view. It is available for Android, iOS, PSP and Nintendo DS. It came out in 2009.
- Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories – it is a spin-off of GTA Vice City available for PSP and PS2. It came out in 2006.
- Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories – is a prequel to GTA 3 (set 3 years before the latter). It came out in 2005 and is compatible with PSP, PS2, Android and iOS.
- Grand Theft Auto: Advance – released in 2004, it is a GTA spin-off made exclusively for Game Boy Advance. It has 2D graphics with a top view like the first chapters of the saga.
- Grand Theft Auto: London 1969 – is an expansion of the first Grand Theft Auto released in 1999 on PC and PlayStation. It is considered a spin-off of GTA as it can also be installed independently of GTA.
How to download GTA to your computer
The easiest (and also cheapest) way to download GTA to your computer is to resort to Steam, the famous Valve service that allows you to buy the best titles for Windows, macOS and Linux and download them via digital download.
The first step you must take, therefore, is to connect to the Steam website and download the official client of the service by clicking on the button first Install Steam (top right) and then on the button Install Steam now (on the page that opens).
Download complete, if you use a Windows PC, start the executable SteamSetup.exe and, in the window that opens, click on the button first Yup and then on Forward. Then affix the check mark next to the item I accept the license agreement, click on Forward twice in a row and finish the setup by pressing first on Install and then on end.
At the end of the setup you will have to wait a few minutes for the download of all the files necessary for the Steam client to work.
If you use a Mac, open the dmg package that you downloaded from the Steam website, click on the button Agree located in the window that opens and drag the icon of Steam in the folder Applications by macOS.
Then start the Steam client from the Applications folder of your Mac, click on the button You open present in the window that opens and wait a few seconds for all the files necessary for the operation of the software to be downloaded from the Internet.
Now the steps are the same on Windows and macOS. When you have finished downloading all the files necessary for Steam to work, click on the button Create a new account and proceed to create a new account on the platform.
Now you have to type yours email address in the two fields that are shown to you on the screen and you must first click on Forward twice in a row and then on Ends to complete the Steam registration process.
To validate your account, remember to log in to your email and click on confirmation link contained in the email you receive from Steam.
Now you are really ready to download GTA to your computer. Then select the card Shop of Steam (top left), click on the button Go back to the shop (bottom right), search GTA or Grand Theft Auto in the search bar at the top right and give Submit to view the search results.
If you encounter difficulties in finding the titles of the GTA saga, click on the following links to view the one that interests you most directly within Steam (you must accept the opening of the client).
At this point, provide yours date of birth to prove that you are of age (and therefore you can access the titles of the GTA saga), click on the button Come in and consult the card with the description of the game.
Before proceeding with the purchase of the title, scroll down the screen and check that i system requirements are compatible with your computer’s specifications (so that processor, RAM, video card, operating system etc.) are powerful and recent enough to run the game correctly.
Once the system requirements have been verified, if you are still convinced that you want to buy the GTA chapter you have selected, press the button Add to Cart, choose the option Purchase for me from the screen that opens and select a payment method between PayPal, prepaid credit card, Bitcoin is Paysafecard from the drop down menu Choose a payment method.
Finally, click on the button Go on and confirm the purchase of the game by following the instructions on the screen.
Once the purchase is complete, the GTA chapter you have selected will be added to your Steam library. To download and play it, go to the card library located at the top, select the game title from the left sidebar and click on the button Install.
In the window that opens, choose if create a shortcut to the game on the desktop and / or in Start menu (putting the check mark next to the appropriate items), click on Forward is I accept and wait patiently for the game to download.
When the download is complete, go back to yours library, select GTA from the list of available games and press the button for to play. Steam data is synchronized with the cloud and games are associated with the game account, therefore even installing Steam on another PC, if you log in with your account, you can download GTA at no cost and play it (as long as the computer has adequate hardware equipment, of course).
How to download GTA on console
Is your PC not powerful enough to be able to “run” GTA correctly? Don’t worry if you have a console like PS4, PS3, Xbox One or Xbox 360, you can also download GTA on the latter and have fun equally in the streets of Liberty City, Vice City, San Andreas, Los Santos, Blaine County and all the other “imaginary” locations that distinguish the world of Grand Theft Auto.
Each console has a specific procedure for downloading games, but the steps to be taken are quite similar on each of them. In principle, what you need to do is connect the Internet console (via Wi-Fi network or Ethernet cable, depending on your needs); configure a account for the reference network of the console (PlayStation Network for PS3 and PS4 or Xbox Live for Xbox 360 and Xbox One); access the store with games; select a title from the saga of GTA and proceed with its purchase by providing a valid payment method (credit / prepaid card or PayPal). Once purchased, you can start downloading the game and have fun with it. The games downloaded in digital download remain connected to the account of the user who purchased them, this means that even if you cancel the game or using the same PSN / Xbox Live account on another console, you can download the game at no cost.
Would you like a more practical example of the procedure necessary to download GTA on console? I’ll settle for you right away by talking about PlayStation 4. If you have a PS4 (be it first generation, Slim or Pro), you can download the titles of the Grand Theft Auto saga by following these steps.
- Connect the PS4 to the Internet via Ethernet cable or wireless network. In the first case, all you have to do is connect the console to the router via an Ethernet cable and you’re done. In the second, you have to go to the menu Settings (the toolbox icon), then you have to go up Network> Set up Internet connection> Use Wi-Fi> Typical, select the Wi-Fi network to connect to the console and enter the relative access key;
- Sign in to the PlayStation Network. If you don’t have a PSN account yet, you can create it by going to Settings> PlayStation Network / Account Management and selecting the item first Sign in to PlayStation Network and then New PlayStation Network user? Create an account is subscribe now. Then follow the instructions on the screen and within minutes the game will be done. I remind you that creating a PSN account does not enable online play: for that you need to activate a PlayStation Plus subscription for the price of 7.99 euros / month, 24.99 euros / 3 months or 59.99 euros / year. For more details, see my tutorial on how to play online on PS4;
- Open the PlayStation Store by selecting the shopping bag icon located in the main menu of the console and looking for the title of GTA of your interest through the magnifying glass located at the top left;
- Select the title of GTA you want to download and proceed with your purchase by pressing the button first Add to Cart and then on Proceed to payment. Therefore, provide a valid payment method (credit / prepaid card or PayPal account) and wait for the game to be downloaded to the console;
- Play GTA by selecting its cover image from the PlayStation 4 main menu.
How to download GTA on smartphones and tablets
Some chapters of GTA are also available on smartphones and tablets. Clearly this is not GTA V, which for the moment remains an exclusive of PC and console, but of the previous chapters of the saga and some spin-offs originally released on portable consoles. Here is the complete list.
- Grand Theft Auto III ▶ ︎ Android (€ 4.99) | iOS (€ 5.49)
- Grand Theft Auto: Vice City ▶ ︎ Android (€ 4.99) | iOS (€ 5.49)
- Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas ▶ ︎ Android (€ 6.99) | iOS (€ 7.99) | Windows 10 Mobile (€ 6.89)
- Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars ▶ ︎ Android (€ 4.99) | iOS (€ 5.49)
- Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories ▶ ︎ Android (€ 6.99) | iOS (€ 7.99)
To install any chapter of GTA on your smartphone or tablet, all you have to do is follow the standard procedure for downloading apps and games on your device. You must therefore open Google Play (Android) App Store (I know Windows Store (Windows 10 Mobile), search GTA inside and select the title of your interest. Then you have to press the button Get / Install and confirm the purchase.
I recommend, before proceeding with the download of a title, read its description carefully and make sure that it is 100% compatible with your device (for example, the iOS versions of the games are not compatible with all iPhone models and iPad). After the download is complete, select the GTA icon from the home screen or from the app drawer of your device and enjoy!