How to do certified e-mail: Your employer has asked you to send him documents by certified e-mail , but you still don’t have an e-mail address of this kind and you don’t know how to open one? Would you like a hand to understand how certified mail works, which devices you need to have in order to use it and how much does it cost? No problem, I’m here to give you a hand and clear up all your doubts on the subject.
In fact, if you want to know more about how to do certified e-mail , all you have to do is continue reading the next chapters of this guide, as I will provide you with all the useful information on the subject and I will also list the prices of the main offers for opening a certified e-mail.
That said, if you’re eager to get started, I suggest you sit nice and comfy and just take a few minutes of free time. Read carefully what I am about to tell you, in order to shed light on the matter and identify the PEC service that best suits your needs. At this point, I just have to wish you a good reading and a good job!
How certified e-mail works
Before getting to the heart of this tutorial and discovering, together, how to open a certified e-mail box , let me briefly illustrate – and above all in a simple way – how this service works.
Let’s start by saying that certified e-mail (usually abbreviated to PEC ) is a tool that allows businesses, private citizens and public administration bodies to exchange communications with the same legal value as a registered letter with return receipt.
However, the PEC is often confused with the digital signature, which however serves a completely different purpose, as the latter serves to give a legal value to a single electronic document (equivalent to that of the handwritten signature), guaranteeing its validity and ‘integrity.
Leaving aside the technicalities, what is important to know is that the PEC does not require any particular device to be used: it works just like a normal e-mail address (in fact it can be configured in any email client using the “classic” IMAP and POP3 parameters ) and has a rather low cost: it starts from an average of 5/10 euros per year, but obviously everything depends on the type of mailbox chosen and the services it offers.
There are different managers on the market, therefore different companies that offer the possibility of opening a PEC account, and each of them offers different solutions. PECs usually have an annual expiration with automatic renewal and, in some rare cases, can offer free trial periods.
As mentioned, to use the PEC it is not necessary to use any particular device or software: neither USB sticks nor smart cards are necessary, as it is possible to use the certified mail service like any other e-mail service, making use of it via a mail client. electronic, Web Mail or through a special app on smartphones and tablets.
Furthermore, the work of certifying the messages that, together with that of verifying the identity of the sender and recipient, distinguishes the PEC, is done entirely on the servers of the managers. In fact, when an email is sent via PEC, the message sent by the sender is taken over by the manager, who verifies the compliance of the message with the standards of certified email.
Then, if the verification is successful, the email passes to the recipient’s manager, who performs a second check on the message. At this juncture, the sender receives a notification email regarding the acceptance of the message by the recipient’s servers. If the second check is also successful, the message reaches the end user. On this occasion, the sender receives a notification email regarding the delivery of the message .
Depending on the plan subscribed and the offers proposed by each operator, the PEC mailbox may have more or less space available for archiving messages, a limited or unlimited number of mailings per day, the ability to receive messages from non-certified addresses , the SMS notification service and the archive and backup function . It can be on the domains of the manager (eg. @ Manager.it ) or on custom domains chosen by the user.
Having clarified this, you must also know that there is no completely free PEC , or rather, it no longer exists. Up to 2014, in fact, the Posta Certificat @ service was available, offered by the Italian authorities and which made it possible to communicate free of charge with the Public Administration bodies using a PEC mailbox created ad hoc. The service, however, has been discontinued.
Finally, it should be noted that the PEC is not mandatory for private citizens. Instead, it is mandatory for companies (including sole proprietorships) which, starting from 2014, must enter at least one certified e-mail address in the Business Register . It is also mandatory for freelancers enrolled in an order or college.
How to open a certified e-mail
At this point, you wonder how do you open a certified e-mail box ? The answer is very simple: to open a certified mailbox, you need to connect to a manager ‘s website , choose one of the available offers and click on the button to subscribe.
Then you have to fill in the form that is proposed to you with all your personal data and you must proceed with the payment of the first year of subscription using one of the accepted payment methods (usually credit card and PayPal).
After making the payment (or confirming the payment method, if you subscribe to a plan that includes free trial months), and you must send the manager all the documentation necessary to activate the PEC account. The required documentation usually consists of some form provided by the manager and a copy of a valid identity document .
The documentation can be sent directly via the Internet using the web panel on the operator’s website, or via email. In some cases, even the “old” fax machine can be used. Once the documentation has been sent, the manager should take a few hours to activate the certified e-mail box.
Offers for certified e-mail
Now you know how the PEC works and how to open a certified e-mail box. But what are the best offers for this type of service? Which manager is it more convenient to contact for the creation of an address? Let’s try to find out together.
Make Aruba certified e-mail
I believe Aruba needs no introduction. It is a company best known for its hosting services, but it also offers solutions such as e-mail certify, e-signature and SPID. His proposals regarding the PEC are aimed at both private citizens and businesses. These are the most interesting offers for individuals.
- PEC Standard – includes a 1GB PEC mailbox with antivirus and antispam + access via Web and from the Aruba PEC Mobile app for Android / iOS and iPadOS . It costs 5 euros + VAT per year the first year and then 7.90 euros + VAT per year.
- PEC Pro – includes a 2GB PEC mailbox with 3GB of archive, antivirus and antispam, SMS notification, web access and smartphone app. It costs 25 euros + VAT per year.
- PEC Premium – includes a 2GB PEC mailbox with 8GB of archive, antivirus and antispam, SMS notification, web access and smartphone app. It costs 40 euros + VAT per year.
PEC mailboxes on a personalized domain are also available , with costs starting from € 7.90 + VAT per year.
If you want to open a PEC with Aruba connected to the official website of the company , choose the offer you want to subscribe and click on the Buy button . Then, click on the Continue button and complete the order , in order to carry out the registration procedure and, subsequently, the payment, using the Register button and complete the order .
Make Poste Italiane certified e-mail
Postecert is Poste Italiane ‘s certified mail service that offers solutions for both private and business customers. I’ll list them for you below.
- Basic PEC – includes a 100MB PEC mailbox with 200 mailings per day on the postecert.it domain . It costs 5.50 euros + VAT for 1 year, 9 euros + VAT for 2 years or 10.50 euros + VAT for 3 years. There is also an option to have 100MB of extra inbox space for 1 euro + VAT for 1 year, 2 euro + VAT for 2 years or 3 euro + VAT for 3 years.
- PEC Base Business – includes at least five PEC accounts with 1GB of space and 200 daily mailings on postacert.it and pcert.postecert.it domains with a duration of 1-3 years. Its prices are variable and must be budgeted by local consultants.
- Advanced Business PEC – includes at least five PEC accounts with 1GB of space and 200 daily mailings on @ [company name] .postecert.it or @pec. [Custom domain] .it domains. The boxes have a duration of 1 to 3 years. It also allows you to request the replacement storage of notices and PEC receipts. Prices are variable and must be requested on a quote.
To subscribe to a PEC offer for individuals, connect to the official Poste Italiane website and press the Buy online button , in order to register on the Post Office website and consequently proceed with the payment.
Do KOLST certified mail
Among the certified e-mail managers, KOLST is certainly worth considering , which makes competitive prices one of its main strengths. Here are the plans currently present in his list.
- Smart – includes a 1GB PEC mailbox with unlimited mailings, antivirus / antispam protection, email alerts and access via Web Mail. It costs 5 euros + VAT per year.
- Domain 5 – this is an enhanced version of the Smart plan with 5GB of space for storing emails, the possibility of having a free custom domain and a Web access panel for mailboxes. It costs 10 euros + VAT per year.
- Domain 10 – includes a 5GB PEC mailbox on a custom domain (free of charge), antivirus / antispam protection, email and SMS alerts, control panel for mailboxes and access via Web Mail. It costs 30 euros + VAT per year.
To subscribe to a subscription plan among those proposed, connect to the web page of the service and press the Buy button , in order to choose the name of the mailbox and the domain and proceed with the payment, following the registration of an account.
KOLST mailboxes can also be configured in any e-mail client using the IMAP parameters available on this web page (by clicking on the item I need to configure the mailboxes in my program. What are your mail servers for the PEC? ) And yes can use via the Web .
Make Free Certified Email
Libero Mail PEC is the certified e-mail service offered by Libero . It has two plans: one for private clients and one for professionals listed below.
- Family PEC – includes a 1GB PEC mailbox intended for private users. It costs 14.99 euros / year (VAT included).
- PEC Unlimited – includes an unlimited PEC mailbox intended for professional users. It costs 30 euros + VAT per year.
Having said that, to subscribe to one of these offers, all you have to do is connect to the official website of the service and press the Activate button , corresponding to the subscription plan of your interest. To proceed with the payment, you will be prompted to create a Libero account by clicking on the Create Account button .
How to make free certified e-mail
Do Register Certified Email
Register.it is a well-known company in the field of Web domains and hosting, which for some time has also been offering solutions for certified mail and SPID. Its offers are not very numerous, but they are offered at competitive prices. Here they are all in detail.
- Agile PEC – includes a 2GB PEC mailbox on Register’s domain with unlimited sending, notifications via SMS, dedicated folder for the archive, antivirus and antispam, access from Web and mobile, attachments up to 30MB and the ability to receive emails from uncertified boxes. It costs € 33.90 per year + VAT but you can try it for free for 6 months (€ 9.90 to be paid in case of non-renewal).
- Single PEC – includes a 3 or 5 GB PEC mailbox on a custom domain with all the services of the Agile PEC plan. Prices start at € 34 per year.
Would you like to try the Agile PEC service for free? If so, go to the official Register website and click the Activate Free button .
Then, accept the conditions of use, putting the check mark next to the wording I expressly accept the following clauses relating to the services purchased , then click on the Proceed button , in order to indicate all the data required for the activation of the box PEC.
Make LegalMail certified e-mail
LegalMail offers solutions aimed primarily at professionals. Its strong point is the possibility to try one of its plans for free for 6 months. Its current offer is composed in this way.
- PEC Bronze – includes a 5GB PEC mailbox + security archive, SMS alerts and access from both Web and mobile device. It costs 25 euros + VAT per year.
- PEC Silver – includes an 8GB PEC mailbox + security archive, SMS alerts and access from both Web and mobile device. It costs 39 euros + VAT per year and you can try it for free for 6 months.
- PEC Gold – includes a 15GB PEC mailbox + security archive, SMS alerts and access from both Web and mobile device. It costs 75 euros + VAT per year.
To subscribe to the PEC Silver plan for free , connect to the official LegailMail website and click on the Try for free button . Once this is done, customize the domain name for the PEC and press the Verify button.
Then continue with the registration by clicking on the Create an account button and indicate all the data required for the activation of the PEC box (for example company name , tax code or VAT number ), in order to continue with the subscription, through the guided instructions.
Finally, I remind you that LegalMail mailboxes can be configured in any e-mail client through these IMAP parameters .
Other offers for certified e-mail
If none of the offers listed so far has satisfied you, you can consult the complete list of managers authorized to provide certified e-mail services on the Agency for Digital Italy website . Alternatively, below you will find some other advice on PEC offers that you can subscribe to.
- Virgilio PEC : it is another PEC service that you can take into consideration. The tariff plans include the Personal subscription at a cost of € 14.99 / year with 1GB of space and the one called Infinity at a cost of € 30 + VAT / year with unlimited space.
- KeliWeb : this hosting company also allows you to obtain a PEC mailbox. The tariff plans are as follows: Basic (€ 9 + VAT / year for a PEC with KeliPEC.it domain), Pro (€ 28.90 + VAT / year for a PEC with third level domain) and Full (28.90 € + VAT / year for a certified email on a personalized domain).
- Netson : is another well-known hosting company that allows you to purchase a PEC with the following tariff plans: Basic PEC (10 € + VAT per year for a 1GB PEC), PEC Pro (50 € + VAT per year for a 2GB PEC and 3 GB storage space) and Top PEC (80 € + VAT per year for a 2GB PEC and 8 GB storage space).