How to clean up Facebook: Are you tired of the stupid links and useless messages that haunt the main page of Facebook and that you are forced to see every time you access the social network? Can’t stand those friends who, often without permission, post messages and photos in your personal diary? Then you absolutely must take action and try to remedy the situation.
Come on, come on, roll up your sleeves and find out how to clean up Facebook thanks to the indications I’m about to give you. I assure you that, in just a few minutes, you will have a perfectly clean timeline and diary (or almost) with no more posts, notifications and useless links to waste your time. While I’m there, I’ll also explain how to clean up the activity log and the social network history, if you are interested in it.
So, are you ready to get started? Yup? Very well: make yourself comfortable, take all the time you need to concentrate on reading the next paragraphs and, more importantly, try to put into practice the “tips” I am about to give you. I’m sure the final result will satisfy you and give you back the pleasure of using Facebook. I wish you happy reading and I wish you a big good luck for everything!
How to clean up Facebook profile
Wishes clean up Facebook profile, perhaps removing some posts published in your diary or doing a bit of “cleaning” in your friends list? Then read on to find out how to proceed both from smartphones and tablets and from PCs.
If you want to clear the Facebook timeline of all those post which fall into the category of utter uselessness, all you have to do is identify one of the “offending” messages and remove it. To do this, just log into Facebook, click on the symbol (…) attached to the content to hide from the diary and select the entry Hide from the diary from the menu that opens. The procedure is valid both from mobile and from PC.
Do you also want to prevent your friends from writing in your personal diary? Then access the settings of your Facebook account and enable the function that allows you to do this.
- Smartphone or tablet – log into Facebook from its app for Android or iOS and first presses the button (≡) and then on the rumors Settings and privacy> Settings> Journal and tagging. In the screen that opens, tap on the item Who can write in your diary? and select the option Only me from the screen Diary post. Next, press on the voice Want to check the posts they tag you in before the post appears in your timeline? (again from the screen Journal and tagging) and move up ON the switch located next to the option Checking the diary, so as to prohibit the automatic publication of photos and messages in which you are tagged on your profile.
- Computer – log into Facebook on his login page (or from its application for Windows 10), presses on the symbol (▾) at the top right and select the item Settings from the menu that opens. Then select the item Journal and tagging from the left sidebar, click on the button Edit placed next to the wording Who can write in your diary? and set the option Only me from the menu that appears. Next, click on the button Edit placed next to the item Want to check posts where friends tag you before they show up in your Timeline? and select Yup in the drop-down menu that opens to prohibit the automatic publication of photos and messages in which you are tagged on your profile.
If, on the other hand, you want to hide the posts published by another Facebook user, so as not to display them in the news feed, press the symbol (…) attached to the content posted by the user in question and select the item Don’t follow anymore [nome utente/pagina] if you want to stop following updates, or Pause [nome utente/pagina] for 30 days if you want to hide their posts for a limited time. More info here.
If you’re up for more drastic measures, you can do a general clean up on your list of too friends. How? Just go to the section of your Facebook profile containing the list of all contacts, identify those to be removed from friends and that’s it. Here’s how to act in detail on smartphones, tablets and computers.
- Smartphone or tablet – log into Facebook from its app for Android or iOS, tap on the thumbnail of yours profile photo located next to the wording What are you thinking about? and presses the button See all friends placed in the section Friends of your profile. Then identify the person you want to remove from contacts, presses on the symbol of three dots placed next to his name, tap on the item Remove [nome persona] from friends or Block [nome persona] if you also want to block the user to prevent him from contacting you and confirm the operation by replying OK or Block notice that appears on the screen. Simple, right?
- Computer – log into Facebook on his login page (or from its application for Windows 10), click the thumbnail of yours profile photo placed next to the wording What are you thinking about? and click on the tab Friends. At this point, locate the person you want to delete from your contacts, hover the mouse cursor over the button Friends placed next to his name and select the item remove from your friends from the menu that opens.
If you have second thoughts, you can try adding the deleted contact back to your friends list by sending him a new friend request (and hoping it will be accepted). For more information on what to do, read my guide on how to re-add a deleted friend on Facebook.
How to clean up the Facebook activity log
Are you going to clean up the Facebook activity log, so as not to leave a trace of certain activities you have carried out on the social network? It is possible to do this too. Let me explain how to proceed on both mobile and computer.
- Smartphone or tablet – log into Facebook from its app for Android or iOS, presses the button (≡) and tap on the items Settings and privacy> Settings> Activity log. On the screen Activity log, expand the menus Year And Category to select, respectively, the year and the type of content you are interested in. Once you have identified the action and / or content to be canceled / deleted, tap on the symbol (⌵) located on the right and presses on the item that appears (eg. Hide from the diary, Delete, I do not like it anymore, etc.). Repeat the process for any other items you want to delete or hide from the Activity Log and that’s it.
- Computer – log into Facebook on his login page (or from its application for Windows 10), presses the button (▾) located at the top right and select the item Activity log from the menu that opens. Then locate the action you want to remove from the activity log, click on the symbol pencil located on the right of the same and select the item Delete / I don’t like anymore from the menu that opens.
How to clean up Facebook history
Do you want clean up Facebook history, so as to delete all the searches made on the social network in one fell swoop? I guarantee you that succeeding is not complicated at all, as long as you follow these guidelines.
- Smartphone or tablet – log into Facebook from its app for Android or iOS, presses on search bar placed at the top of the screen and tap on the item Edit located near the item Recent searches. In the screen of the Activity log that will open, tap on the item Clear searches located up and then up Confirmation, to cancel all searches made. If you want to delete a search only, press the button instead (⌵) located on the right (in correspondence with the search term), tap on the item Delete from the menu that opens and that’s it.
- Computer – log into Facebook on his login page (or from its application for Windows 10), click on the button (▾) located at the top right and select the item Activity log from the menu that appears. On the page that opens, select the item Search history located on the sidebar on the left and, to clear all searches in one fell swoop, click on the item Clear searches located at the top right. Then confirm the operation by pressing the button Clear searches from the box that appears. To clear individual searches, click on the del icon instead prohibition placed next to each of them, select the item Delete from the menu that opens and confirms the operation by pressing the button Remove search in the box that appears on the screen.
If you want more information on how to delete your Facebook history, please also consult the article I dedicated to the topic. Surely this reading will also be useful to you.
How to clean Facebook from viruses
If you have read this far in the guide, you obviously want to know cHow to clean Facebook of viruses, perhaps because you have difficulty accessing the social network or, if you are still able to do so, you notice “strange” behaviors on the platform (for example banner ads that invade all its screens).
One of the operations that I invite you to do to solve this kind of problem is run a malware scan on your PC or mobile device you are using, so as to verify the actual presence of a virus or a adware (malicious software that “studies” your behavior to show you “tailored” advertising). After that it may be necessary correct the changes that were possibly made to the system by malicious software that was found by the antivirus, such as the proxy or DNS connection of the Internet connection.
For more information on how to clean Facebook from viruses, I suggest you take a look at the in-depth study I have dedicated to the topic, where I have also provided you with some “tips” on how to secure your account from cybercriminals.