Classic Tetris: The eras, the people, the tastes change, but the games don’t. Not those. Some video games have gone straight into history and, despite the passage of time, keep their charm intact. An example above all? The Classic Tetriswhich since the early 80s has crossed dozens of platforms, devices and games, managing to conquer users of all ages.
I bet you like it very much too. Did I guess? Good. So how about playing with it now? Believe it or not, on the Internet there are many transpositions of Tetris, faithful to the original game, which can be used at no cost directly from the browser or can be downloaded to your PC to be played offline.
How do you say? Would you like to be able to play Tetris even from your smartphone or tablet? No problem, you can do that too. There are also versions of Tetris for Android, iPhone and iPad that can definitely be right for you. You just have to choose the game you like the most and start having fun. Is it possible to know that you are still standing there? Below are dozens of Tetris variations that are just waiting to be tried! I just have to wish you a good read and, above all, a good time!
Classic Tetris on PC
If you want to play Classic Tetris on your PC, in the next chapters I will point out some solutions that can surely be for you. Specifically, I will show you both some free solutions that you can install on your computer, and others for a fee, which also offer alternative modes to the classic Tetris one.
Tetris.net (Windows 10)
If you use Windows 10you have the possibility to download different applications dedicated to Tetris by acting directly from the Microsoft Store. Using the appropriate search bar in the Microsoft store, you can in fact find many games and alternatives to Tetris, simply by typing the term “tetris”In the search field located at the top right.
Among the various applications available for download, however, the one I recommend you download is Tetris.net, which represents a copy of the classic Tetris. In case you can’t find it, I suggest you click this link, to go directly to your listing in the Microsoft Store. To download and install on your PC, you just need to press the button Get.
At the end of the procedure, you can find the quick launch icon of the game in the Windows Start menu: select it and press the key New Game, in the window that opens, you can immediately start a game of Classic Tetris. You can move the blocks or rotate them using the directional arrows keyboard.
If you don’t have Windows 10 and are looking for a downloadable and executable solution on any edition of this operating system, you can give it a try LTrisa free and open source “clone” of the classic Tetris, which includes various game modes and supports local multiplayer.
If you are interested in playing it on your PC Windows (or Linux), what you need to do is reach her official website and click on the wording ltris-[versione]-win32.zip. After you have collected thearchive .zip of the game, you will have to extract the folder contained within it on the hard disk of your computer. If you don’t know how, I’ve told you about it in detail in this guide.
After doing this, open the folder you just extracted on your PC and double-click on the file ltris.exe, to start playing. In the window that opens, click on the item New gameset the option Game on Classic and click Start game. The commands consist of using the directional arrows of the keyboard to move and rotate the bricks.
Quadra Blocks (macOS)
Use a Mac? Then I advise you to download Quadra Blocks, another free “clone” of Tetris characterized by truly enviable graphics and attention to detail. Unfortunately, it has not been updated for some time but it also works perfectly on the most recent versions of macOS. To download it to your computer, connect to the MacUpdate page dedicated to it and click on the button Download located at the top right.
When the download is complete, extract thezip archive just downloaded and drag the application Quadra Blocks in the folder Applications of macOS; then select the game icon with the right mouse button and click on You open twice in a row, to start your first game.
To play the directional arrows of the keyboard, which are used to move / rotate the blocks, plus the space bar, which instead serves to slide the blocks at the bottom of the screen. Also, with the buttons at the top of the game window you can start a new game (Start), pause the current one (Pauses) or terminate it (Abort).
Finally, the drop-down menu at the top left allows you to select the game difficulty: normal (Classic), hard (Hard) or very difficult (Insane).
Other Tetris games on PC
In addition to the solutions that I have shown you in the previous chapters, you can also play Tetris by taking a look at the different games of this genre that are available in the catalogs of Steam and Epic Games, which I’ll tell you about in the next few lines.
- Tetris Effect (Windows) – is a video game based on the classic Tetris and is available on PC through the Epic Games Launcher, at a cost of 32.99 euros. If you also own a VR headset, such as Oculus Rift or HTC Vive, you can also play Tetris Effect in VR mode.
- Puyo Puyo Tetris (Windows) – is a video game developed by SEGA that is inspired by Tetris, to allow players to carry out challenges alone or against other users, both online and locally. It is available on Steam, at a base cost of € 19.99.
- Tico (Windows / macOS / Linux) – is another video game that recalls the classic version of Tetris and can be purchased on Steam for 4.99 euros. It is only available in single player mode, but you can download it on both your Windows PC, macOS and Linux.
Classic Tetris Online
If you are looking for online solutions to play Classic Tetrisyou will be happy to know that, in the next paragraphs, I will point out some services that allow you to play Tetris-style video games directly from the browser, without installing any software on your PC.
- Tetris.com – is the official website of the Tetris brand and allows you to play the classic version of this video game from the browser. All you have to do is press the button Play Tetriswhich you find at the top and, after the page loads, click on Playto start playing (using the arrow keys on the keyboard).
- Tetris n-blox – If you are looking for a classic Tetris game that is immediate, free and without frills, Tetris n-blox may be for you. It works completely online on any browser without you having to install any add-ons. To play it you have to select the level from which to start (from 1 to 10with increasing difficulty) and click on Play game to start the game. As for the commands, just use the arrow keys on the keyboard.
- Tetris (Archive.org) – Do you remember the beautiful transposition of Tetris released in 1989 on Sega Master System? This version that I point out to you has been recreated and is available to be played directly from the browser on the Archive.org website. To start playing it, you have to press the button I in the center and then use the commands indicated in the description at the bottom of the page.
- Kongregate – on the website of the Kongregata company there are many Tetris-based games that you can play comfortably from your browser. However, I warn you that you may be required to activate Flash Player in your browser to play the game.
Classic Tetris for smartphones and tablets
Do you want to play Classic Tetris on your smartphone or tablet in complete mobility? In this case, I have some solutions that may interest you.
Classic Block Falling (Android)
On smartphones and tablets Android, you can play Classic Tetris by downloading the app Classic Block Falling, available for free on the Play Store of the green robot operating system. Although the app is free, there are banner ads that you can remove through an in-app purchase of 4.99 euros.
If you are interested in the app Classic Block Fallingto use it, all you have to do is reach this link from your device and then press the button Install, to start the automatic download and installation. At the end of this procedure, you will find the app icon on the home screen and / or in the drawer.
After starting the app, start a new game, using the key Play, and use the on-screen controls to move the blocks or rotate them. Unfortunately, there are no alternative modes available to the classic one you will find but, if your intent is to play the latter, it is certainly the right app for you.
Brick Classic Tetris (iOS / iPadOS)
If you want to play Classic Tetris on your own iPhone or iPadI recommend that you turn your attention to the app Brick Classic Tetris. This app is free and supported with minimally invasive advertising banners. In addition, there are several modes available, such as the classic one or you can play against the AI or other players.
To download the app to your iPhone or iPad, what you need to do is reach this link from your device, in order to open the App Store directly to the card of the game in question. All you have to do is press the button Get and unlock download and installation via Face ID, Touch ID or Apple ID password.
Once the app is installed Brick Classic Tetris, tap on its icon on the home screen to start playing. You will find the keys to access the various modes on its main screen; moreover, the commands to move the blocks and rotate them are shown directly on the screen.