Best iPad apps: The iPad is an excellent device, it has immense potential, but to make a real sense of its purchase you have to learn how to use it well. By this I mean that you shouldn’t just install Facebook on it or use it to browse the photos on iCloud, because with the Apple tablet you can do much more!
Precisely for this reason, today I want to offer you a guide to discover what are the best apps for iPad thanks to which you can work, have fun and communicate. Many are free (in some cases with in-app purchases), while others are paid. Download them now to take full advantage of the capabilities of your device and you will see that you will not regret it!
Then? May I know what are you still standing there? Position yourself comfortably, grab your Apple-branded tablet and immediately begin to focus on reading everything listed below, to discover the resources that you think will do the most for you. I am sure that, in the end, you will be able to tell yourself very happy and satisfied and that you will also be ready to recommend your interesting friends on the same topic. What do you say, we bet?
Before getting to the heart of the topic, going to indicate what I believe to be the best apps for iPad , it seems only right to explain to you how to download and possibly also purchase them.
To do this, all you have to do is press, directly from your iPad, on the name of the app you want to download that you find in the lists below, wait for the opening of the App Store (the official application store for iOS) and tap on the Get / Install button or the one with the price (in the case of paid applications).
Then authorize the download using Face ID , Touch ID or password and wait for the download procedure to complete. At the end of the process, you can access the app by tapping on the Open button appeared in the App Store screen or by pressing on its icon that appears on the home screen .
As well as as I have indicated above, you can find the apps that interest you by “manually” opening the App Store on your tablet, by tapping on the relative icon (the one with the blue background and the “A” ) that you find in home screen, by tapping the Search item at the bottom right, typing the name of the application of your interest in the search field at the top, selecting the relevant result and proceeding with the download and installation as I have indicated above .
In all cases, to be able to download the apps, you must be logged in with your Apple ID on the device and, as regards the purchase, you must have configured a valid payment system . For more information on this, I invite you to refer to my guide on how to create an Apple ID.
Also keep in mind that some free apps offer the possibility of making in-app purchases to remove any advertising that may be present and to unlock additional content and functions. It is not a necessary step, mind you, but many times the app’s features are heavily castrated if you do not proceed in this way.
Best iPad apps for productivity
Let’s start this excursus among the best iPad apps by going to discover the ones that are most useful in terms of productivity . Below, therefore, you will find a rich list of applications through which to write texts, create spreadsheets, presentations, open and edit PDF files and so on and so forth.
- Pages – one of the most iconic apps made available directly by Apple. It allows you to easily create complex text documents and edit Microsoft Word files. Yes you can download and use for free.
- Numbers – is Apple’s app for spreadsheets, which is also compatible with Excel sheets. Even then, it is a totally free resource.
- Keynote – another app developed by Apple itself useful for creating spectacular presentations on the go. Yes you can download and use at no cost.
- Microsoft Word – is the word processor app part of Microsoft’s Office package. You can use it for free, as long as the iPad screen is smaller than 10.1 ″. Otherwise, you need to subscribe to Office 365 to be able to use it.
- Microsoft Excel – another application part of the Microsoft Office mobile package thanks to which it is possible to create and view spreadsheets. It’s free, as long as the same conditions I have reported for Word are respected.
- Microsoft PowerPoint – is the application of the Redmond home productivity suite for making and viewing presentations. It’s free, as long as the conditions stated for Word are respected.
- WPS Office – valid alternative to Apple’s and Microsoft’s productivity suites. It allows you to process spreadsheets, draft documents and prepare presentations easily. It also supports PDFs. It’s free, but offers in-app purchases (starting at $ 3.99 / month) to unlock extra features.
- iA Writer – minimal text editor but with great potential thanks to which it is also possible to write in Markdown. It costs 9.99 euros.
- Ulysses – is a real powerhouse for text productivity. It allows you to manage text documents, synchronize them with each other and export them in various formats and in various apps. It also supports Markdown writing. It can be downloaded for free, but to use it you need to subscribe (at the basic cost of 4.99 euros / month) through in-app purchases.
- Editorial – excellent minimalist text editor for making markdown documents. It supports the creation of abbreviations and scripts. It costs 5.49 euros.
- PDF Expert – is the most complete PDF editing app on iPad. It allows you to add notes, highlights and work with PDF documents in all possible and imaginable ways. It costs 10.99 euros.
- Notability – another must-have application that allows you to create “hybrid” documents via keyboard input and Apple Pencil. Imports existing PDFs and allows you to use virtual sheets with stave and gingham themes. It costs 10.99 euros.
- Evernote – is the app of the most famous service in the world for writing down information, creating to-do lists and organizing portions of Web pages, photos and so on. It is free, but to use the service on more than two devices, you must subscribe to the Premium version through in-app purchases (starting from 4.99 euros).
- Documents – a free file manager for managing compressed documents, photos, videos and archives directly from iPad. It supports all major cloud storage services (first of all Dropbox) and allows you to download files from the Internet via a convenient internal browser. It’s free.
- File – is the Apple file manager that the same company of the “bitten apple” has chosen to include on the iPad (and iPhone) starting from iOS 11. It is pre-installed on the device, but in case of removal it can be downloaded and reinstalled for free.
- Commands – automation app distributed by Apple (following the acquisition of Workflow some time ago) thanks to which it is possible to create countless workflows. It is pre-installed, but if removed it can be downloaded again at no cost.
- Luna Display – allows you to transform the iPad display into a second Mac monitor. To do this, however, you need to download the companion application on macOS and you need to purchase a special accessory that connects your computer and tablet. The download and use of the app are free.
- Coda 2 – popular mobile editor for website developers. It recognizes the syntax of various languages and supports synchronization functions. It costs 27.99 euros.
- uMake – allows you to draw two-dimensionally and instantly rotate the sketch to see its 3D rendering. It also supports Apple Pencil. It’s free, but offers in-app purchases (starting at € 16.99 / month) to take advantage of all the available functions.
Best iPad apps for videos
Would you like to use your trusty iPad to stream online videos , watch movies, or perform other similar operations? Then rely on the ad hoc applications that you find reported below.
- Infuse – is the number one video player on iPad. It allows you to play any type of movie without problems, allows you to download and stream videos from the local network and automatically download posters and information on films, anime and TV series from the Internet. It is free to download, but to unlock all the functions of the app you have to proceed with in-app purchases (starting from 99 cents / month).
- VLC – is the iOS counterpart to one of the best free video players for Windows, macOS and Linux. It allows you to play virtually all kinds of audio and video files.
- iMovie – the best video editing app available on the Apple tablet, produced by the same company from Cupertino. Yes, download and use it for free.
- YouTube – does it really need any introduction? It is the official YouTube app thanks to which you can watch all the videos on the well-known platform for video streaming. Basically a must-have.
- Plex – excellent media center that allows you to access videos, photos and music on a remote PC or NAS. The app can be downloaded for free, but to play the contents you have to proceed with in-app purchases (at a cost of 5.49 euros one-off) or you have to buy the Plex Pass (at a cost of 4.99 euros / month or 45 , 99 euros / year). The client to be installed on the workstation that hosts photos, music and videos, on the other hand, is free.
- RaiPlay – allows you to watch live broadcasts of all Rai channels for free. It also offers on-demand access to all major state TV programs and even allows you to download them locally for offline viewing.
- Mediaset Play – allows you to watch Mediaset programs on-demand. It’s free.
- iTV Shows – one of the best applications to track the episodes of the TV series seen. It costs € 3.49.
- Netflix – is the app of one of the most renowned and appreciated services for video streaming of films and TV series (also and above all of its own production) present on the square. The app can be downloaded and used for free, but to access the available content you need to subscribe on a monthly basis with a basic cost of € 7.99, as I explained in detail in my guide on how Netflix works.
- Prime Video – is the app of the video streaming service made available by Amazon for all those who activate a subscription to Amazon Prime, as I explained to you in detail in my tutorial on the subject. It allows you to watch movies and TV series, and a variety of self-produced content is also available. Yes download for free.
- NOW TV – is the app of the Sky home video streaming service thanks to which it is possible to stream programs, series and films, both live and on-demand. For more details, read my specific guide on how NOW TV works.
- VVVVID – is one of the most interesting video on-demand services on the Italian scene. It’s free and has numerous Japanese movies, TV series and anime in the catalog.
- CHILI – allows you to watch recently released films by renting them or buying them individually (they can also be downloaded for offline viewing) paying from time to time. The free download app. For more details, read my guide on how CHILI works.
Best iPad apps for music
Are you looking for useful apps to listen to streaming music on your trusty iPad, to create musical compositions or to listen to the radio? Then the apps that I have reported to you below can undoubtedly be for you.
- Garageband – the best music production app for iPad, includes tons of professional-grade musical instruments and effects. It’s free.
- Spotify – the most popular music streaming service in the world. The free iPad app allows you to listen to all the songs with advertising interludes. All limits disappear if you subscribe to the paid plan at a cost of 9.99 euros / month for individual use. For more information on how the service works, you can refer to my specific guide on how Spotify works.
- YouTube Music – is Google’s music streaming service based on the practically boundless database of videos on YouTube. The service can be used for free, with advertisements, or you can subscribe to the Premium subscription, which at a cost of 9.99 euros / month allows you to eliminate advertising, listen to songs offline and in the background. For more details, see my specific guide on the subject.
- Amazon Music – is the official free app of the Amazon home music service. It gives access to tons of songs at no cost to Amazon Prime subscribers. For further information, refer to my tutorial dedicated to the topic.
- Music Maker JAM – app specifically intended for lovers of hip hop, dubstep and house music thanks to which it is possible to compose music by choosing from hundreds of loops, beats and melodies. It’s free, but to unlock the additional content you need to make in-app purchases (at a base cost of 1.09 euros).
- Shazam – very famous app thanks to which it is possible to discover the titles of the songs played in the environment by simply leaving the iPad listening. It’s free.
- Overcast – excellent podcatcher for subscribing and listening to podcasts that is characterized by its excellent graphics and advanced features it offers, such as skipping silences in real time. It is free, but the full version that allows you to take advantage of all the advanced features must be compared through in-app purchases (at a cost of 9.99 euros).
- myTuner Radio FM Italia – app that allows you to listen to Internet radio stations directly from your iPad. It’s free, but offers in-app purchases (at a cost of € 3.49) to remove the ads.
- Musixmatch – allows you to locate the lyrics of the songs you are looking for and display them directly on the screen during playback with supported players. It’s free.
- Music Memos – free app developed by Apple ideal for music writers. The application, in fact, allows you to use the iPad to capture sounds and use them later to create your own library with the most interesting clips and riffs. It is also capable of automatically detecting tempo, rhythm and chords. Free.
Best iPad apps for photos
Now let’s move on to iPad apps that are useful for managing, organizing and editing photos . Below you find my selection.
- Google Photos – is the Google app that allows you to organize your photos on the cloud and backup service of the same name, as I explained to you in detail in my guide on the subject. Free.
- Snapseed – another app developed by the “giant of research on the Net” that allows you to edit photos on the go using the various tools available. It’s free.
- Pixelmator – renowned application considered by most to be the Apple-only counterpart of Photoshop. It includes countless features and useful tools to edit photos and images professionally. Yes, it can also be used in conjunction with Apple Pencil. It costs 5.99 euros.
- VSCO – free app that allows you to edit photos by applying various and beautiful ready-to-use filters. It is very easy to use.
- PhotoFunia – free application entirely dedicated to photomontages with all kinds of scenarios, famous people to impersonate and many other nice effects.
- Autodesk Pixlr – includes everything you need to edit your photos directly from iPad: filters, tools to crop, rotate and correct common mistakes in digital photos, brushes for drawing, frames and much more. It’s free, but offers in-app purchases (starting at $ 1.09) to remove ads and unlock extra features.
- Pic Stich – allows you to create photo collages and apply colored borders to images. It’s free, but offers in-app purchases (starting at € 1.09) to unlock extra content.
- Afterlight – integrates several tools for photo editing and the results returned are noteworthy. It costs € 3.49.
- ProCam – photo taking app that includes many advanced features, including manual ISO control. It costs € 8.99.
- Procreate – renowned app for drawing, painting and making illustrations. It offers a very complete set of features, including canvases, brushes, a refined layer system and much more. It also supports the use of Apple Pencil. It costs 10.99 euros.
- Affinity Photo – this is a professional photo editing tool that provides its users with numerous advanced functions to enhance and edit photos. It costs 21.99 euros.
Best iPad apps for the Internet
With the iPad it is also and above all possible to access e-mail, chat with friends, use social networks and perform various other activities via the Internet . If this interests you, below you will find a selection of useful apps in this regard.
- Mail – is the default iOS email client. It allows you to manage iCloud accounts and any other e-mail inbox in a practical and intuitive way. It is pre-installed, but in case of removal the download is free.
- Spark – free email client that promises to solve the problem of overloaded mailboxes, making it easy and immediate to use your accounts and organizing the messages received in the best possible way.
- Gmail – this is the official Gmail app through which it is possible to manage the electronic correspondence of the Google account (and not only). It’s free.
- Pocket – practical app that allows you to save articles and web pages in an archive that can also be consulted offline. It’s free, but offers in-app purchases (at a base cost of $ 4.99) to unlock some extra features.
- Flipboard – renowned app that allows you to stay up to date by reading news from various sources selectable by the same user, which are offered in the form of a digital magazine. Free.
- Reeder – popular RSS feed reader with a simple but well-designed user interface. It costs 5.49 euros.
- Facebook – as you can guess, this is the official app for the iPad of the famous Mark Zuckerberg social network. It’s free, as is the use of Facebook.
- Messenger – is the app to use Facebook chat. It allows you to chat with other users, exchange files, make calls and video calls. It’s free.
- Messenger for WhatsApp – allows you to take advantage of WhatsApp via iPad with a lot of support for push notifications. It’s free, but offers in-app purchases (starting at 3.49) to remove ads and unlock other features.
- Twitter – is the official and free iOS app of the famous microblogging service.
- Chrome – the browser of “big G” in a specific version for iOS. It broadly resumes the operation of its desktop variant. Free.
- Firefox – another popular browser also available on computers. It supports synchronization of browsing data across multiple devices and it’s free.
- iCab – great browser to use instead of the default one that integrates countless useful alternative functions, such as download management, full screen browsing, guest mode and much more. It costs € 2.29 and offers in-app purchases (at a base cost of € 1.09) to add other extra features.
More iPad apps
To conclude, I want to point out all those other iPad apps that do not fall into any of the above categories but which can still be very useful. Here they are.
- Books – is the Apple app for reading eBooks and listening to audiobooks. It is pre-installed, but in case of removal it can be downloaded again at no cost.
- Kindle – app to read books downloaded on your Kindle (or in any case on your Amazon account) on iPad. It’s free.
- Comic Zeal – probably the best application for reading comics on iPad. It supports CBR / CBZ / PDF files and costs 5.49 euros.
- Soulver – amazing calculator that supports performing calculations using natural language. It costs € 3.49.
- PromoQui – free application that allows you to have all the flyers with supermarket offers at your iPad.
- 1Password – must-have application for cybersecurity. It allows you to keep passwords, credit card data, software licenses and other information securely. Passwords are synchronized with other devices (1Password is also available on iPhone, Mac, Android and Windows) via iCloud or Dropbox. Yes, download for free, but to use it you need to subscribe to the service through in-app purchases (starting from 3.99 euros / month).
- Duolingo – useful app for learning and studying English and other languages in a simple and fun way. It’s free, but offers in-app purchases (starting at € 3.49) to unlock additional content.
- Deliveries – allows you to track parcels from all major carriers in the world in a simple and intuitive way. It costs 5.49 euros.
- Speedtest.net – is the iPad app of the most famous and appreciated speedtest in the world: that of Ookla. It allows you to measure the speed of your Internet connection, both Wi-Fi and data connection. It’s free.
- TripAdvisor – is the official app of the homonymous service that allows you to find restaurants and accommodation facilities and find flights and hotels at affordable prices. Free.